To begin with Scholars are provided with all the necessary equipment that they will need. As they become more serious about the art they are encouraged to purchase their own.
- Waster – a wooden training sword.
- Practice Sword – a foiled (blunted) sword with enough flex in the blade to be safe to free-play with (with a reasonable amount of intent)
- More serious practitioners my like to train with a foiled replica weapon as a stiff-bladed sword handles differently.
The 1595 ‘uniform’ is primarily intended for protection and ease of movement. Beyond that, a nod is given to the Club’s influence – i.e. the martial arts of Renaissance Europe – and from this an identity for the club and for the art itself.
- Padded Fencing Gloves
- Boxing Gloves/ Bag Mitts
- Fencing Mask – (The Leon Paul 1600 Newtons Coaches masks are recommended)
- Padded Fencing Jacket or Gillet and Padded Sleeves
- Chest protector - for the ladies
- Fencer’s Trousers – knee-length and baggy!
- Box - for gentlemen
- Knee Pads
- Shin Guards